Why are window protection films used?
Window protection films are transparent films of different thickness for glass surfaces, windows and mirrors. Window protection film reinforces glass surface from break-ins and burglars, as well as protects from glass splinters if a window or a mirror is broken. Films of this type are usually installed on glass surfaces in apartments, private residences, offices and other commercial real estate.
What is the difference between protective films and other window films?
- Protective window films are made of a super durable polyester.
- These films are absolutely transparent, invisible and do not change their appearance.
- They have an ultra strong adhesive layer.
- These films are four times thicker than other window films (some models of protective films are ten times thickers).
- Protective films are classified by thickness.
- All protective films are manufactured in accordance with special safety standards, for example, EN12600 and EN356.
The thickness of the window protection film is indicated in Mil (this is an international measurement system). One Mil is equal to 28 microns. For example, a protective 4 Мil film is 112 microns thick.
Three types - what to choose?
The capabilities of window protection films depend on their thickness. The thicker the film, the more powerful effect it has. All protection films are divided into three types according to their effects and capabilities:
- Glass safety films - the thinnest films (for example, 4 Mil) for protection from glass splinters if a window or a mirror is broken;
- Security window films - thick multilayer films for protection against break-ins and burglars.
- Anti-graffiti films - films for outdoor installation that protect glass surfaces from vandals and graffiti artists.
Facts about window glass protection films
- The level of window glass protection films depends on their thickness. Each film has definite strength properties. It is critical to follow manufacturer's recommendations. Do not wait for miracles and hope that a thin 4 Mil (112 microns) shatter-proof film will protect your windows against break-ins and burglars like a thicker 12 Mil (360 microns) film.
- The price of window glass protection films depends on their thickness too. The thicker the film, the more material is required for production, which affects the price directly.
- Wet installation technology is used to install all types of window films including protective window films. However, they will dry much longer due to their thickness. As a comparison, mirror window films dry out in 7-12 days, but it takes 15-25 days for full drying of window protection films. Each protective film provides the expected safety effect only after complete drying of the adhesive.