Security window film - protection against robbers
Thick 8, 12 or 16 Mil security window films are used to strengthen glass and protect the space from robbery. Security window films strengthen glass surfaces and create a reliable barrier for robbers. Broken window is the shortest and easiest way for robbers. Security glass film has been used for more than 30 years to secure windows of private and commercial real estate.
What is the operating principle of security window films?
Security window films are installed indoors or on the side opposite to the side of possible physical impact. Due to its thickness and the strength of the glue, the film works as a membrane and reinforces the glass. The reinforced glass surface takes on TRIPLEX properties.
- It is much harder to break glass with a film. The exterior glass of a window will break. The film on the inner glass increases its strength by several times.
- In case of an attempt to break a window, a cobweb appears on the surface, the glass cracks, but does not fall apart into separate fragments. The film binds pieces of glass and does not allow anyone to get inside.
Selection tips for glass security films, which thickness to choose - 8Mil or 12Mil?
Glass security films are selected according to the size of the window. The bigger the window, the thicker film should be used.
- For medium-sized glass with an area of 1,8 square metres or less, an intrusion-resistant 8 Mil (224 microns) film is a good solution. This film can withstand up to 35 kg per square metre and this is enough to strengthen small windows on the first floors of apartments, private residences and offices.
- For large windows with an area bigger than 1,8 square metres, a thick 12 Mil (336 microns) protective film should be used. This film can withstand up to 63 kg per square metre and is a reliable protection for large windows.
- It is recommended to use the thickest 16 Mil (440 microns) protective film for very large windows and shop windows. Please note that this film is very thick and it is advisable to use professional installation services.
Installation features of security glass films for windows
Security films are installed as usual glass films, however, there are some features you should pay attention to.
- A harder installation tool in comparison with other window films should be used. More force is required to remove mounting mortar. The thicker the film, the greater the effort.
- In some cases, demounting and mounting of a window frame is required. Sometimes the film is installed under glazing beads. The glazing beads press the film against the glass. This allows to increase the resistance of the surface by several times.
- A less concentrated and less soapy mounting solution is used for installation of all window glass protection films.
Everybody can install security films without any professional assistance. The only difficulty is the need to remove the mounting mortar carefully.
Useful information about security glazing films
- Security films do not make windows bulletproof. Sure, you can stick three or four layers of the film and shoot for a while for promotion purposes, but such designs are not suitable for real life.
- Security films should be installed indoors. It is easy to cut the film in a circle if it is installed outside.
- Instrussion-resistant glass films do not protect glass surfaces against smashing. There are many YouTube videos with extraordinary stories, but all of them are remote from reality. Certainly, three or four layers of security glazing film on each side of the glass surface will allow to bear blows of a bat, etc. But in real life such designs are used extremely rarely due to technical complexity and unreasonable price.
Security glass films for windows can be used together with decorative films or mirrored privacy window films. Security glazing films are installed as the first layer and then any other film of your choice can be installed.